Sunday, November 6, 2011

99%


Media technology is a wondrous thing. It has enabled, if not totally created, the society in which we have consented to live. We have allowed ourselves to be cajoled, tempted, brainwashed, lulled into complacency and addicted to mediocrity. We are enticed to fill our lives with brain numbing banality, while the planet, blindfolded and brakes off, is rollicking straight to hell.
But media technology is a wondrous thing and not averse to biting the hand that feeds it.
Which is why September's moderate gathering at Wall Street to protest against social and economic inequality has become a global movement in over 2,000 cities worldwide. Thanks to media technology, I (and millions around the world) have watched horrified as ordinary people endeavouring to exercise their democratic rights, are beaten, arrested and vilified by an armed and militant police force. And just as I was thinking this couldn't possibly happen Downunder, disgust and disbelief churned my stomach at the atrocious behaviour of our own Australian police during Occupy Melbourne.
So thanks to media technology, the blissfully ignorant are blissful no longer and ignorant no more. Safely ensconced in God's own country I may be, but I know a revolution when I see one.
I am the 99%.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am part of the 99% although I haven't demonstrated yet. I live in a smaller town but I'm about an hour from Los Angeles where they have an on-going demonstration. I've heard that many of the demonstrators from NY and other East Coast cities are coming out here so they can continue the fight during the winter months when it's too cold where they are now.

    ReplyDelete