Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Earthquake


Mother Nature has a serene and totally dispassionate way of levelling all playing fields. Take last night....there I was, in the bosom of the Hills, the safest place in the safest state in the safest country in the world.
Or so it seemed. Then around 2.30am I was shaken awake by rattling windows, tinkling glassware and the sound of several trains vying to use my bedroom as a short cut. It only lasted half a dozen seconds and it only measured 3.3 on the Richter scale, but it was enough to set all the local dogs howling and enough to scare the fidgets out of me. After thanking whatever gods were batting in our favour, my thoughts turned to other earthquakes with less fortunate outcomes, like those in Japan and Christchurch.
Its so easy to get caught up in the daily grind, with its trivia, busy-ness and routines. But there's more to life than that, much more, and it took a little shaking for me to wake up and remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment